Thursday, 9 September 2010

Grab Your Raincoats, Kids!

Rainy season has arrived and I find myself duly unprepared.  I
have never seen anything like this!  The rain that falls on a
multiple daily basis is something that you only see two or three
times a year at home.
   Here's a little story for you all:
    Today is Wednesday, the day I have no morning class; hence, the
day I try to accomplish all imperative, slight or pressing, errands.
  I set off about 10:30 in the morning to B&O, a chain hardware
store which compares disastrously to Canadian Tire.  I was looking
for some SOS pads to shine up my bike and an extension cord for the
washer (the main outlet shorted long ago).  No SOS pads, but I did
find the cord.
  As I proceeded outside I found a soggy onslaught awaited me.  As I
left to blue skies and dry roads, I gave no thought to bringing my
raincoat.  I wept inwardly at my misfortune and unpreparedness.  It
is quite difficult driving in the rain... not only do you worry
about your soggy appearance when you finally dismount... somewhere,
but the rain pelts at your exposed eyes (which are squinted to
narrow slits) making driving dangerous.
   By the time I got to the bank, the rain had subsided.  So after i
paid our utility bills I figured I might as well head on down to
this little shop.  One of the Chinese helpers at work was jealous of
my AstroBoy key chain and tried to abscond with it, so I told her I
would get her one.
   By the time I walked out of that store, it was raining... again.
I still had to get my bike checked out (it's been leaking gasoline
and needed an oil change).
   Whatever.  When I got to the mechanic, the rain stopped.  I told
him what I wanted and he gave me scooter (A SCOOTER!) as a loaner
until my HOG was repaired.  Precisely as I set away from the
mechanics, the onslaught renewed... with a vengeance.
   I returned home a soggy mess... but my story does not end here.
The rain, yet again, abated... but only in an indirect proportion to
the growling of my belly.  The hunt for food was on.  I searched my
cupboards and found they were bare, there seemed to be no good food
there.  Craig was also being visited by the same monster so we
headed out to get some greasy grub (I, saddled uncomfortably, on the
loaner scooter).
   Did I learn anything from my morning excursion?  Obviously not.
I left unprepared and found myself, in fresh clothes, pelted by
Hubba-Bubba-Bubble-Gum-sized drops of rain.
   We never made it to McDonalds... as the rain began Craig whimped
out (I was relieved), and we turned around one block from home.  As
we waited in the scooter-port for the rain to let up (so we could
make a crazy dash for the apartment) I realized how nice the rain is
when you don't really have anywhere to go.  I wanted to play in it,
but I had to go to work and didn't want to wet myself again
(hahaha).
   Now, it is almost 9:00pm and it is still raining.  I feel I will
become a prisoner in my apartment for a bit... or confine my
excursions to nearby places where an umbrella is suitable protection
against the elements.  My umbrella broke months ago, but procuring a
new one is my top priority right now.
   So, that's my story.  I am sitting writing to you still slightly
damp from my walk home from work, but there are bagels in my fridge
and a mystery can of something in my cupboard... I think I'll fix
somethin up'.

No comments:

Post a Comment